Monday, November 14, 2011

Angst Initiate: The Walking Dead's Daryl Dixon

I've never mentioned The Walking Dead here on The Angst Report before, mostly because I think it sucks. It's one of the slowest moving shows on television, most of the characters make incredibly stupid and dangerous decisions, and the vast majority of the actors blow. Hard. Are they really going to spend the whole season parked on the side of the road looking for a missing child? Did they really need to lower a person down into the well last week? Why did she go out into the middle of a field to take her pregnancy test when your typical bathroom has a door? Why are they so incredibly stingy with their guns and gun training? I swear - they're going to create a six week gun training program before they manage to get off the side of the highway. 

Despite all my irritations with The Walking Dead (and trust me, there are many) I haven't missed a single episode. Why? One reason. Norman Reedus

Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon on The Walking Dead 

If the zombie apocalypse happened, and there was a Daryl Dixon around, I wouldn't leave his side for a minute. His cross-bow is the perfect weapon, he seems to be the only person with any wilderness training, and he is by far the least annoying person in this merry band of travelers. Whether that's the character or the fact that Norman Reedus can actually act is anyone's guess.

Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon on The Walking Dead 

Last night, they gave him a honest-to-goodness storyline. Not only was there much pain and suffering after Daryl took a tumble down a cliff and skewered himself on his arrow, but there was some good mental anguish too. His (dead?) brother showed up in spirit form and told Daryl what a loser he is. The people he's traveling with hate him and laugh at him. They think he's stupid. And no one will ever care about him. The delight of knowing that all these things were actually Daryl's insecurities was fun fun fun.

Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon on The Walking Dead  

Then he wanders out of the woods and the stupid blonde chick whose name I'm not going to bother to look up shoots him. Yeah. Because it's always smart to fire a gun at a person you can't really see because the sun's in your eyes. Maybe that six week gun training course isn't such a bad idea as long as idiot blonde chick is around. Week One: Don't Shoot When You Can't See. 


Anyway, he lives, because she's a crappy shot, and he gets patched up by Dr. Super Vet. Then, in a very lovely scene, bald woman comes into his room and thanks him. She tells him, flat out, he's just as good a person as cop guy and other cop guy. This piece of news surprises him. 

They like me! They really like me! 
Also - he flinched when she leaned in to give him this kiss. It was adorable. 

Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon on The Walking Dead 

Some people love The Walking Dead and hey - more power to 'em. I won't deny that the show always looks good. It must have a fantastic budget because the zombie makeup is top-notch and the gore is always gory. But writing-wise, I hate all these people and I think they're all dumb. And after a season and a half, I don't really remember any of their names. Except Carl - because Carl is a stupid name for a child. Maybe they've finally recognized the awesomeness they have in Norman Reedus. They did make him a regular this season. If anyone deserves a lion's share of screen time, it's him.

9 comments:

  1. amazing you are so right about daryl (and TATE)...

    i just discoverd your blog and i really like it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you decided to write about Daryl.

    I've spent the morning stewing about how dumb the Walking Dead is. The smartest thing the writers did was make sure Daryl didn't actually die, otherwise I'm reasonably sure 89% of their audience would have peaced out.

    I just wish Daryl would take a bath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. Yes. He IS really dirty. And he must smell terrible - especially after wearing zombie ears around his neck all day. At least he looked cleaner once he was in bed. Maybe that'll carry over to the next episode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with your post about Daryl & the Walking Dead. I was worried that Daryl wasn't going to make it, but alas, being the crazy tough guy that he is, he survived. I probably would have stopped watching the show if his character had died. He is the most interesting character to me, and as you said, the man can actually act. I was annoyed with the pregnancy test scene, too. Especially when the result appeared immediately (granted, I don't have any experience with pregnancy tests, but I am assuming it takes longer than right away to appear?). I mean, come on. And squatting in a field when zombies could appear at any time was incredibly stupid. I would want to keep my alone time in a field at night to a minimum, if I was in their situation. And lowering the guy (see, I can't remember anyone's character names, either!) into the well was just dumb as hell.

    Styx/Simone: I couldn't agree more about Daryl's dirtiness, lol. Please take a shower, Daryl! Dirty & smelly, or not--I think he's still kinda hot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know...i think dirty Daryl is hot....:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what have you said, and the way you have said it. I actually likes this serie but if Daryl dies I'll stop watching it. He is the best! I couldn't stand the tension when it seems he was going to die, in fact, I called a friend to ask her what was going to happen.

    P.D: Daryl, darling, have a shower please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually like the show, but I fast forward all the touchy talking drama shit lol, so maybe it doesn't count. I couldn't agree with you more about Norman Reedus. He is, without doubt, the best actor in that show, and has the best character I've seen for quite a while now. If he dies I'll definitely stop watching the show. And I think he shouldn't take a bath because the whole dirty thing is his thing, and we should love him as he is. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Think about it... in the picture where he's being patched up by Dr. Super Vet, he's totally covered in scars... Wow, does this guy have an interesting story. Norman did a great job with this character. I love the show, all of it (except Andrea sometimes, who is the stupid blonde chick, and I don't like Lori a whole lot either, and thank the lord Shane's dead) but Daryl is by far my favorite character. He leaves them all in the dust. We need a Daryl background episode, like flashbacks he has or something.
    Daryl Dixon status: Winning!

    ReplyDelete