Monday, December 12, 2011

Alas, Poor Jimmy, I Knew Him Well

If you haven't seen last night's Boardwalk Empire season two finale, you probably shouldn't read this...

Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire Season Two Finale
Oh, the horror! Jimmy is gone. Gone gone gone gone gone. Two bullets in the head, gone. All the way gone. Super. Gone.

Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire Season Two Finale
Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire Season Two Finale
I'm not going to lie, he was approximately 97% of why I enjoy(ed?) Boardwalk Empire. Unless Jimmy had a long lost twin brother who ALSO screwed their mom, I'm not sure how much I'm going to love season three.

Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire Season Two Finale
Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire Season Two Finale
The thing is, I don't really feel his death was a logical conclusion to the season. It seems the writers decided that they wanted Michael Pitt to be dunzo. So they forced his character into an arc where he would amend some of his mistakes and go willingly into death.

Character-wise, I'm glad Jimmy wasn't fooled. I'm glad he went to meet Nucky knowing full well how things were going to go. He wanted to die. He made sure his son had an inheritance. He made his farewells as best he could. He saved Nucky from prosecution.

Although... it makes NO sense that he'd leave his son with his freakish mother. But I guess the Boardwalk Empire people didn't have enough time to right that little wrong.

Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire Season Two Finale
Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire Season Two Finale
There were so many places for his character to go, it's just killing me that he'll never go there. I wanted to see Jimmy confront his mother. I wanted to see him make a meaningful connection with another human being. I wanted to see him struggle with being a father. I wanted him to become a heroin addict. You know what I don't really want? To see a bunch of old men argue about land. Snoooooze...

Pull the damn trigger, Nuck. I'm getting soaked out here...
Jimmy Darmody is shot and killed by Nucky on the Boardwalk Empire season two finale
Jimmy Darmody dead on Boardwalk Empire Season Two Finale 
On a show full of gangsters, Jimmy was one of very few characters who had a life beyond the chess game. And they nixed him. Damn damn damn.

Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire Season Two Finale
Bye, Jimmy. The Angst Report will miss you dearly.

5 comments:

  1. Ditto to everything you said. So disappointing. The death of Jimmy is making ME all angsty! He was the character I was most interested in, and interested in seeing where the show was going to take him. Not to mention, the only real piece of eye candy! Serious bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M SO DISSAPPOINTED IN LAST NIGHT'S SHOW JIMMY WAS MY FAVORITE CHARACTER, AND I'M NOT SURE I'LL EVEN WATCH SEASON 3. OH AND I HATE NUCKY'S BROTHER ELI WHAT AN IDIOT THAT GUY IS IT SHOULDA BEEN HIM WHO WAS KILLED OFF AND MANNY HOROWITZ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Jimmy was THE reason I watched the show. I won't be watching season 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't have said it better myself. Jimmy was the best part of the show and he had SO much left to do. Michael Pitt was amazing in this role and it sounds like the writers killed him off either A) b/c they had some issue w/ Pitt or B) just for shock value. Either way, it was a BAD decision and I am done w/ the show. Like you said, I'm not tuning in to watch a bunch of old, unattractive men haggle over land. I'm so pissed that they ruined a decent show like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. land and a contemptuous marriage groundbreaking stuff

    ReplyDelete