Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Holy Oedipus, Boardwalk Empire!

My angst cup runneth over! Jimmy Darmody had QUITE the sunday night! I've been waiting and waiting for Boardwalk Empire to turn up the torture when it comes to Jimmy, and finally they delivered and delivered BIG.

Things started off nice and lovely as we got to relive the early moments of his relationship with now dearly departed Angela.

You're cute and all, but I'm going to screw girls later.
That's okay. I'm going to screw my mom.
I don't know why they waited so long to give us this flashback and create some sympathy for Angela. She was so boring before she was shot in the face. Jimmy too, could have used this flashback a bit sooner. We finally saw what he was like in college, how much promise he had, and how his bitch of a mother screwed everything up and then...well...screwed him.

A sweet son gives his dear mother a peck on the forehead.
A sweet son helps his dear mother remove her shoes. 
A sweet son helps his dear mother get ready for bed. 
Okay...she's ready for bed now...
Super ready for bed now...
Oh, God. 
Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire sleeps with his mother played by Gretchen Mol
Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire sleeps with his mother played by Gretchen Mol

And there it is. Yeah. They just flat out did it. No more of this tiptoeing around the issue with weird comments about winky kissing. Dude flat out f***ed his mom.

You know, it's twisted, but I give the show a lot of credit for going there. ALL THE WAY there. I don't remember an incest storyline on television lately (or ever?) **Update: Game of Thrones has the incest thing going on. Totally forgot! And in terms of angst, yeah, I'd say that'll do it.

Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire after sleeping with his mother
Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire after sleeping with his mother

And you know what's great?! That wasn't even the only major angst box Boardwalk Empire checked off last week. We also got drug use!

I am SO ahead of the trend on this one! Go me! 

And if the Oedipus thing hadn't been totally driven home yet, we capped of the episode with some good, old fashioned patricide. Farethewell Mr. Hart.


Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire

And also - Jimmy got stabbed. It's a great weak when being stabbed in the back (literally) by your father is like the fourth angstiest thing to happen to you.

I feel a little guilty over being so giddy about these developments, but I've been toiling with this show for two seasons now, waiting for Michael Pitt to turn up the twisted. I'd hoped Angela's death would shake something loose, and boy did it ever.  It took them damn long enough - and they did it ALL at once - but at least they did it. Cheers, Boardwalk Empire. You've climbed like nine rungs on the angst ladder in one night. Looking forward to next week!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I was shocked at the mother f**king scene, and thought to myself "I cannot wait to read the Angst Report on this one"! Wow, I too applaud Boardwalk for going there. Very ballsy move! And of course it makes for some great angst! :)Poor, poor sexy screwed up Jimmy. Can't wait for the season finale, though I am gonna miss Boardwalk for the next 9-10 months until it comes back to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you know she never even washed the blood off his shirt. you can see it still on the chair in the morning. the least she could do after sweet sweet loving with her boy is take care of that lil bit of laundry ...like a good mom.

    ReplyDelete