Friday, January 27, 2012

Downton Abbey: DRINK THE KOOL-AID

I've drunk the kool-aid, ya'll. If you're not on the Downton Abbey bus yet, stop reading this and go watch it. 

Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary Crawley and Dan Stevens as Matthew Crawley on Downton Abbey
I'll admit, it wasn't until series two began that I truly fell in love with all of these characters. In the beginning, Matthew was rather dull and Lady Mary insanely snooty. But the show took its time establishing them as individuals before it softened some of their edges.

Dan Stevens as Matthew Crawley on Downton Abbey
Now that we've come to know them, the show has teased their hookup again and again. But as a potential couple, there are a myriad of obstacles in their way. I read a tweet recently that called them the Ross and Rachel of Early 20th Century England. Yes, I'd say that about sums it up.

Dan Stevens as Matthew Crawley in uniform during World War I on Downton Abbey
Because PBS is currently airing series two in The U.S, I won't mention the final five episodes yet. For now, suffice it to say that seeing Matthew in uniform, occasionally dirty and covered in mud, makes him far more attractive to my eyes.

Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary Crawley and Dan Stevens as Matthew Crawley dance on Downton Abbey
I love them and I love this show. Believe me, they aren't the only characters who are going to make it on The Angst Report. If you haven't yet, drink in this soapy goodness with me. You won't regret it. Oh yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment