Monday, January 9, 2012

Shot Through The Heart: Jeremy on The Vampire Diaries

When I watched the pilot of The Vampire Diaries way back in 2009, Jeremy was initially my favorite character. He was a slacker stoner kid who self medicated because of the death of his parents. It was angsty. But then episode two came along and Steven R. McQueen looked like he'd been spending all his spare time at Powerhouse. Suddenly, he didn't really work as a young, angsty kid. I've never liked him as much as I did in that pilot. 

Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert in The Vampire Diaries
Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert in The Vampire Diaries
He's had some angsty storylines along the way - usually involving girlfriends - but this past week was an attempt at a whole new Jeremy. When Vicki died and Jeremy had his memory erased, I felt bad for him. When Anna died, I felt really bad for him. When Jeremy died and then started seeing ghosts, I felt super really bad for him. But this week, when Jeremy finally seems to have accepted the life he has, Elena starts feeling bad for him.

Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert in The Vampire Diaries
Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert in The Vampire Diaries
It was an interesting story choice they made. Jeremy is adapting. He's learning how to survive in this world with monsters and death. And it's because he's adapting that Elena realizes he has to get out now. He shouldn't have to adapt to such things. It's sort of lovely, really.

Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert covered in blood spatter in The Vampire Diaries
Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert compelled by Damon in The Vampire Diaries
I wish we had gotten to see him behead a few more hybrids before he was tranced out of Mystic Falls. Truth be told - it was a super fast transition. But I guess there's only so much they can do with their one, totally human, not really special in any way character. The most he's ever really been is leverage. I don't think Jeremy is gone for good. But he's probably not going to mega-important for a while.

2 comments:

  1. I think it happened a little too fast. I'm sure he's not gone for good, but I'll miss him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really like Jeremy but I don't want him dead because we don't know what the next hunter will be like. I don't think he is a very important character but to important to die. P.S... If you want to see Matthew Davis (Alaric) again, watch the CWs new show The CULT

    ReplyDelete