Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Downton Abbey: Happy Happy Christmas!

Well, PBS. You're only two months late. But you've finally allowed Christmas to come to Downton Abbey in The U.S. and what a Christmas it was!

Dan Stevens as Matthew Crawley and Michelle Dockery as Mary Crawley on Downton Abbey Matthew and Mary
It's THE BEST when I'm watching a show and my first thought is, "I want pictures!!" I know then that I won't have to hem and haw (hem and haw is a weird phrase, by the way) about what to post here. Watching Matthew and Mary have the happiest Christmas ever caused my house to become squee-central. And these pictures have been ready to go for some time.

Dan Stevens as Matthew Crawley and Michelle Dockery as Mary Crawley on Downton Abbey Matthew and Mary
Man, I love Christmas. And I love snow. And I love England. And I love proposals. And I love blue eyes, and happy endings, and sweeping orchestrations. This episode of Downton Abbey might have to be an annual event. It would be nice to watch it around Christmas (as opposed to mid-January, which is when I saw it.)

Dan Stevens as Matthew Crawley proposes to Michelle Dockery as Mary on Downton Abbey Matthew and Mary
They are SO cute. And the snow looks so magical. Sigh. This couple makes me feel like such a girly-girl. There's nothing twisted, nothing cynical, nothing dark. Kind of like Snow White and Prince Charming over on Once Upon A Time. It's just so happy. And it makes me happy watching it. 

Dan Stevens as Matthew and Michelle Dockery as Mary Crawley on Downton Abbey Matthew and Mary Christmas
Just looking at these pictures puts a smile on my face. It's a little embarrassing, really. But there you go.

Dan Stevens as Matthew kisses Michelle Dockery as Mary on Downton Abbey Matthew and Mary Christmas proposal
Matthew proposes to Mary Crawley Downton Abbey Christmas Special proposal kiss Dan Stevens
I can't wait for this to come back. I hope they don't decide to tease us in some irritating manner. I want a wedding. I want them to be happy. They can do a new will they/won't they with someone else. Or a difficult pregnancy or something. But for Matthew and Mary, I expect a lavish, old-timey, English wedding. And I better get it!

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted them to be real. I haven't wished a couple to live happily ever after since Mr. Darcy and Lizzie Bennett. We'll see what the next season brings...I also want a big wedding, and some steamy action shots, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Just watched this episode on Christmas Night and the proposal brought tears to my eyes. I have not cared about, nor rooted for a fictional couple like this in a very long time. They are really adorable together, especially the way Matthew smiles and plays with her when they talk. Also makes me feel like a girly girl. I was surprised by the proposal this early. Expected it to come in Season Three. Just got a DVR in preparation for Season Three!! Thanks for this web page.

    ReplyDelete