Monday, June 25, 2012

Angst Initiate: Nathan Young on Misfits

I've posted about Misfits once before and I mentioned then that THE best character, Nathan, wasn't necessarily an angsty. Don't get me wrong - I love him. I really do think he's one of the best television characters of all time. But he's cocky, he's funny, he's charismatic, and he's always on. There aren't many moments in which he displays anything but bravado.

However. I love him. So I'm posting about him anyway.

Robert Sheehan as Nathan Young on Misfits Episode One Nathan on Misfits Robert Sheehan
In the first episode of Misfits, Nathan is kicked out his mom's house. This is actually pretty angsty. In fact, his familial relationships are where 100% of his angst (such as it is) comes from. He essentially ends up homeless because no one will take him in. (I'll take you in, Nathan! I don't care how crass you are!)

Robert Sheehan as Nathan Young on Misfits Episode One Nathan on Misfits Robert Sheehan
He ends up sleeping in the community center where the ASBO kids work.

Robert Sheehan as Nathan Young on Misfits Episode One Nathan on Misfits Robert Sheehan
As the gang is getting to know one another, Nathan is essentially a bully - especially where Simon is concerned. When I get around to chatting about Simon, Nathan will actually be one of the sources of Simon's early angst. But I'm not talking about Simon now... so back to Nathan.

Robert Sheehan as Nathan Young on Misfits Episode One Nathan on Misfits Robert Sheehan
Except... I'm basically out of things to say. Can I just repeat over and over that Robert Sheehan is fan-freaking-tastic and him leaving the series was one of the saddest tv-related things ever?

Robert Sheehan as Nathan Young on Misfits Episode One Nathan on Misfits Robert Sheehan
vvv This is the face he makes when Simon touches Alicia and says he wants to piss on her tits. Ahh, I love this Nathan reaction. His reactions are great. Angsty? Not so much. Brilliant? Totally. I'm laughing just looking at this picture. Because -- they just found a dead body! And Simon is talking about ... nevermind. If you haven't seen it - go watch it!! If you've seen it, share a digital chuckle with me now.

Robert Sheehan as Nathan Young on Misfits Episode One Nathan on Misfits Robert Sheehan
And I like these screen caps vvv because they look angsty, right? It's just a quick moment, but it's clear that Nathan really is unhappy about this whole living-in-the-community-center situation. I mean, his mom did choose her boyfriend over her son. That sucks and IS angsty even if Nathan is the most flippant guy ever.

Robert Sheehan as Nathan Young on Misfits Episode One Nathan on Misfits Robert Sheehan
Robert Sheehan as Nathan Young on Misfits Episode One Nathan on Misfits Robert Sheehan
Anyway. I tried. I wrung every bit of Nathan-angst out of the first episode of Misfits I possibly could. As much as I'd like to write 250 posts on Nathan, I think three or four will probably cover it. But for now, welcome to The Angst Report, Nathan Young, oh ye of little angst. 

No comments:

Post a Comment