Tuesday, June 26, 2012

True Blood: The Mis-Education of Jason Stackhouse

Oh, Jason. Jason Jason Jason. Poor little darlin.

Ryan Kwanten as Jason Stackhouse on True Blood S05E03 Whatever I Am You Made Me teacher Jason Stackhouse teacher Jason and Jessica True Blood
So True Blood dropped a whole heap of Jason knowledge on us this week, and frankly, it was kind of sad.  It started with Jason out visiting his local neighborhood grocer when an old teacher wanders down his isle. It doesn't take too long to realize that these two have a sordid past. The teacher, ever so cleverly named Mrs. Stealer, is rightfully shame ridden and embarassed. But not poor Jason. He's thrilled to see her.

Ryan Kwanten as Jason Stackhouse on True Blood S05E03 Whatever I Am You Made Me teacher Jason Stackhouse teacher Jason and Jessica True Blood
He finds himself back at her place where she makes an awkward apology about the whole statutory rape thing. The thing is - I can't quite figure out the age differential here. In realty, the actress that played Mrs. Stealer is only two years older than Ryan Kwanten. Do we know how old Jason is supposed to be? I mean, if you figure he's around 30, this whole business went down when he was about fifteen. I doubt he was much older than that because surely seventeen year old football star Jason wouldn't be looking to teachers to show him the ropes. Whatever. It's not really important. The bottom line is that Jason was taken advantage of.

Ryan Kwanten as Jason Stackhouse on True Blood S05E03 Whatever I Am You Made Me teacher Jason Stackhouse teacher Jason and Jessica True Blood
Except he doesn't see it that way. He fully believes that sex is the only thing he's good at. And at this point, he's grateful to have been shown that by someone at a young age.

Ryan Kwanten as Jason Stackhouse on True Blood S05E03 Whatever I Am You Made Me teacher Jason Stackhouse teacher Jason and Jessica True Blood
Afterwards, however, things change. Maybe he starts thinking about what Hoyt said about a part of him being missing. And maybe he's wondering just when that part disappeared. Somehow, he comes to the realization that he is what she made him. And it was all an unfair mistake.

Ryan Kwanten shirtless as Jason Stackhouse on True Blood S05E03 Whatever I Am You Made Me Jason teacher
He leaves, sad and more confused than usual. (But still super hot...)

Ryan Kwanten shirtless ias Jason Stackhouse on True Blood S05E03 Whatever I Am You Made Me Jason teacher
Later that night, Jessica shows up ready to get it on after smelling a sexy British fellow with sixteen sisters (?) Jason is still frazzled. I loved this scene. This very well may be my favorite scene so far of season five. As Jason puts it with uncharacteristic eloquence, there's a hole inside of him that sex isn't able to fill up anymore. And he doesn't know what to do or how to talk about it.

Ryan Kwanten Deborah Ann Woll Jason Stackhouse True Blood Whatever I Am You Made Me Jason Stackhouse and Jessica Hamby Jason and his teacher
Jessica's attempts at understanding don't help much because he's hardwired to just go in for the screw. But that's not what he wants right now and he can't help it. Awww.

Ryan Kwanten Deborah Ann Woll Jason Stackhouse True Blood Whatever I Am You Made Me Jason Stackhouse and Jessica Hamby Jason and his teacher
I love that Jessica refuses to leave. She insists on being his friend and listening to his problems sans sex.  It sounds suspiciously like the beginnings of an actual relationship. I officially ship them. Hoyt who, amiright?

Ryan Kwanten Deborah Ann Woll Jason Stackhouse True Blood Whatever I Am You Made Me Jason Stackhouse and Jessica Hamby Jason and his teacher
It's such a nice change to see Jason be troubled and serious. Contrary to lots of the other internet writings I've read - this isn't the first time he's gotten real. It usually happens about once a year and usually in relation to Sookie. But I totally dig this early-season self reflection. It's a interesting spin to give him an angsty backstory that he never saw as angsty until now.

Ryan Kwanten Deborah Ann Woll Jason Stackhouse True Blood Whatever I Am You Made Me Jason Stackhouse and Jessica Hamby Jason and his teacher
Like I keep saying, Ryan Kwanten really is fantastic. And he's been acting his face of.  Jason tears are adorable. I hope they keep on with this storyline. God knows I'm already totally over word-vomit Italian chick. I swear, she never shuts up. She had like three speeches last week. Maybe they think having her deliver her speeches nude makes them interesting. But if so, they're sorely mistaken about their demographics. Whatever. I want more Jason!

No comments:

Post a Comment