Monday, January 7, 2013

Downton Abbey: Season Three Premiere

Oh, Downton Abbey. I have so many thoughts and issues and THINGS I'd like to rant about, but I've made the frustrating decision to write these posts along with the PBS airing in The United States. So despite having seen season three in its entirety - I'm not going to spoil things for all those American lovers of legal modes of television watching. And - let me warn all ya'll spoiler free people - don't Google Downton stuff. I'm telling you - you'll be sorry. I just did a quick google search on one of the characters and BAM spoiler. Beware!

Dan Stevens as Cousin Matthew Crawley on Downton Abbey Season Three Matthew Crawley Downton Abbey wedding season three premiere
So let's start at the start. It's wedding time! I have to admit - I actually find the husband version of Matthew to be a little creepster. Maybe I'm alone - but there's something Dan Stevens doesn't quite pull off with the sexual innuendoes. When he says, "I'm looking forward to all sorts of things" I get the impression he means slitting Mary's throat and then wearing her skin like a bathrobe. (CRAP! I've spoiled you!! JK) But... maybe not. It's a minor complaint - Matthew and Mary still own my Downton Abbey heart.

Allen Leech as Tom Branson on Downton Abbey Season Three Premiere Tom Branson best man Matthew Crawley Allen Leech Downton Abbey Season 3
And Branson. I've never really talked about Branson before. The poor, former chauffeur who absconded with the Lady Sybil. He returns to Downton for Mary's wedding and man are things awkward. But if Mary and Matthew are my OTP Branson and Matthew are totally my #2.


Dan Stevens Allen Leech as Cousin Matthew Crawley Tom Branson on Downton Abbey Season Three Premiere Matthew Marry wedding Branson Matthew
I love the brothers-in-law bromance. It's so freakin adorable. And Branson could use a male on his side.

Dan Stevens Allen Leech as Cousin Matthew Crawley Tom Branson on Downton Abbey Season Three Premiere Matthew Marry wedding Branson Matthew
Allen Leech as Tom Branson on Downton Abbey Season Three Premiere Tom Branson best man Matthew Crawley Allen Leech Downton Abbey Season 3
Matthew makes Branson his best man. And it's just as cute as pie.

Dan Stevens Allen Leech as Cousin Matthew Crawley Tom Branson on Downton Abbey Season Three Premiere Matthew Marry wedding Branson Matthew
Yeah, I sort of watch Downton Abbey for the cute-as-pie stuff. I want these two to be besties forever and ever.

Dan Stevens Allen Leech as Cousin Matthew Crawley Tom Branson on Downton Abbey Season Three Premiere Matthew Marry wedding Branson Matthew
I also find the Sybil/Branson relationship worthy of a squee now and then. They aren't as old-timey romantic and Mary and Matthew, but their dynamic might actually be the more interesting one - especially now that Mary and Matthew's will they/won't they thing has pretty much concluded. Tom and Sybil have got all this baggage from their different worlds. And Sybil tries so hard to push Branson into this happy medium spot without obviously pushing. It's fun to watch.

Allen Leech as Tom Branson Jessica Brown Findlay Lady Sybil Downton Abbey Season Three Premiere Tom Branson Lady Sybil Crawley Sybil Downton
Allen Leech as Tom Branson Jessica Brown Findlay Lady Sybil Downton Abbey Season Three Premiere Tom Branson Lady Sybil Crawley Sybil Downton
Allen Leech as Tom Branson Jessica Brown Findlay Lady Sybil Downton Abbey Season Three Premiere Tom Branson Lady Sybil Crawley Sybil Downton
But back to Mary and Matthew. It's their day.  They've got this inheritance money conflict looming on the horizon - but frankly - that's not a conflict that much interests me. But look! Pretty pictures of them together.

Dan Stevens Michelle Dockery as Cousin Matthew Crawley Mary Crawley on Downton Abbey Season Three Premiere Matthew Marry wedding Downton
Dan Stevens Michelle Dockery as Cousin Matthew Crawley Mary Crawley on Downton Abbey Season Three Premiere Matthew Marry wedding Downton
That's all for episode one of season three. Matthew and Mary are married - huzzah! What awaits? I'll never tell. (I will... eventually.) But Google will tell you now if you want. This later airing schedule in The US thing is stupid and I hate it. Just for the record. 

No comments:

Post a Comment